I pulled this one out of a fence row and saved it from being scrapped. It was hard to believe how well it worked after sitting outside that many years. The only down side is that it misses quite a few ears.Is this normal or can I adjust it to pick cleaner? I have tried to close up the snapping rolls but they seem to be rusted in place.Any suggestions or recomendations will be greatly appreciated.
When you say "misses quite a few ears" are you saying they are not snapped from the stalk, as the picker goes down the row?
Yes some it picks and some it misses.Some it leaves on the stalk are fairly large.It has done this in both very dry corn as well as some a little damp.In both cases my old 305 new idea picked the same corn very clean.
I've attached some pics of my #5. One of the snapping rolls is adjustable. I would have to look at the machine to tell you which one it is. If you take a good look at the adjustment mech. you will be able to figure it out. On my machine some of the parts were missing. I worked at getting the two rolls closer together and wired it in that position. I left a little gap between them and they seem to work pretty well. There is a glove laying on the adjustment lever, in the 1554 pic.
Take care and good luck.
Do a search for "Replacing the gathering chains"
I have a lot more info. on that post, on the chains. I still owe Bleeding Orange a pic of the HMWU plastic sheet. I was going to get a pic of it when I finished picking and then found out the camera didn't work. I'll get a shot of it in the spring. My feeling is that it held up very well.
Where are you located?
I'm in Fennville, MI.
Hi, New to pickers and the forum. Bought a #5 in decent shape (well compared to some which are no longer Green). It needs some parts like the wood intake guides and bolts or pins which chain has worn into. Needs gathering chain , maybe idler sprockets and a belts or two. Hoping someone has the chain part number and sprocket numbers for current website to save a bunch of time figuring it out.
Awesome!! Glad to see someone rescued it from the scrappers. The New Farm magazine had article on pickers years ago and one guy loved his! He said so many parts like the rubber paddles in the elevator were so cheap to fix. plus the rubber on the husking rolls could be cut from tire carcass and pressed on, that if i hadnt already had my ni#7 i would have looked for one of them.
Yes, seems to be well designed and does look like you can easily make paddles.